Call us biased, but we believe organic German CBD is the kind of CBD you should be choosing for your everyday routine. Forget the regular stuff - when you opt for organic, premium CBD, you're choosing hemp that has been grown with TLC for an excellent-quality finished product. We will be running you through the various things to know about organic CBD, selecting your cannabidiol products and why organic German CBD is the best choice for you.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, one of over 100 cannabinoids naturally present in cannabis Sativa, a plant species that forms part of the cannabis family. As part of cannabis Sativa, there are two varieties to take note of: cannabis and industrial hemp. Cannabidiol is found in industrial hemp in more significant quantities, meaning CBD companies use the hemp plant to extract their CBD, rather than cannabis. There's another reason that hemp is the preferred choice, though. Cannabis is rich in a different cannabinoid: the infamous compound, THC. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the very compound that is responsible for making users of recreational cannabis"high". While hemp has naturally lower concentrations of THC, it is still present in small amounts. THC is the reason behind the often-stigmatised opinions and history surrounding cannabis.
Rest assured, though: CBD hugely differs from THC, as it is non-psychotropic and will not cause a high when taken. What's more, we have eliminated all traces of THC from our hemp-derived CBD products.
What's so special about CBD?
In scientific research, CBD has been described as having potential antioxidant, antispasmodic, anticonvulsant and antiemetic properties,, among other astonishing possible qualities. It is said to exert all of these effects via its work with a cell-signalling, complex system we each have in our bodies: the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Put simply, the ECS is involved in many of the different physiological processes going on inside us, and plays a key regulatory role in such processes, such as maintaining homeostasis. This complex system comprises endocannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors that are distributed all over the body, and enzymes.
To expand this a litte, endocannabinoids are cannabinoids, but instead of being produced by the cannabis plant, they are instead made by the body. The two endocannabinoids you really need to know about are 2-arachidonylglycerol (2-AG) and N-arachidonylethanolamide (AEA), more commonly known as anandamide. The body's endocannabinoids bind to corresponding cannabinoid receptors in order to exert their effect.
There are two variants of cannabinoid receptor: CB1 and CB2. They are located in different areas of the body (CB1 in the central nervous system, and CB2 throughout the immune system, largely in the spleen) and carry out various functions and processes specific to that part of the body.
Is organic CBD legal?
An important question, but a vague one. Cannabis' legality varies across the world; in many parts of the world, cannabis and all its derivatives are illegal, and the penalties for possession are harsh. In other countries, cannabis may be illegal, but hemp and its derivatives are decriminalised. Some countries even allow cannabis to be used recreationally. So, as you will have gathered, no two countries agree on how best to govern cannabis or its derivatives, including organic CBD.
Across many EU countries and in the UK, hemp and its derivatives are legal, so long as the THC content in a given product does not surpass 0.2%. In the UK, due to some of the tight regulations surrounding hemp farming, many CBD companies choose to source their hemp from outside the UK, from EU countries. In the US, hemp-derived CBD is legal at a federal level, with a maximum THC content of 0.3% - but even then, some states remain more uptight about CBD than others.
CBD in Germany: a background on the legalities
The good news is, Germany is an EU country that takes a modern and slightly more liberal approach to CBD than many. Since 1996, when the European Commission ordered the legalisation of cultivation of hemp, hemp and its derivatives have been perfectly legal to use. Hemp is subject to Germany's Narcotics Act. In Germany, only certified varieties of hemp are allowed to be grown. Privately growing all hemp varieties for personal use is strictly illegal. Farmers must acquire a license from the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food to be able to grow hemp and declare their purpose for cultivation, in writing, to this agency, as well as indicate the planned cultivation area.
The Federal Office for Agriculture and Food carries out regular field inspections to ensure that THC levels are within the legal limit (0.2%). It is estimated that around 30% of the areas for hemp cultivation undergo checks. Another condition is that hemp farmers must notify the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food of the beginning of the flowering stage, and can only harvest the hemp once it has been tested and the THC level confirmed as being below 0.2%.
As far as medical cannabis goes, Germany was one of the first countries in the EU to legalise medical cannabis in 2017, when the German Parliament unanimously voted to legalise prescribed medical cannabis to seriously ill patients. It is, therefore, legal in Germany to cultivate cannabis for medical ends. The governing body for the cultivation of cannabis is the German Cannabis Agency, which is part of the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices. It is thought that between 40,000 and 60,000 patients in Germany are registered to receive a medical cannabis prescription; a figure that is only going to grow.
As in many other countries, CBD is classed as a "novel food" under the European Food Safety Authority, meaning it is subject to the Novel Food Regulation.
Products subject to the Novel Food Regulation must receive prior approval from the European Commission before they are able to be marketed. This means that, in Germany, CBD products must be authorised before they can be lawfully placed on the market. In Germany, the Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety is in charge of approving novel foods.
As we have mentioned about hemp-derived products in many EU countries and in the UK, the THC limit must be no more than 0.2% in any product. Germany is no exception: hemp-derived products sold in Germany must contain less than 0.2% THC in order to comply with strict national rules under the German Federal Narcotics Act.
What does it mean to be "organic"?
For a product to be certified organic, it's required to meet specific organic farming standards throughout the growth process. These rules are designed to preserve the environment, maintain the biodiversity of Europe and gain consumer trust in organic products. As stipulated by the European Commission, these are the rules of organic growth in the EU:
- prohibition of the use of GMOs (which can alter the genetics of crops);
- forbidding the use of ionising radiation (sometimes used to stimulate plant growth);
- limiting the use of artificial fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides;
- prohibiting the use of hormones and restricting the use of antibiotics (which are only to be used when absolutely necessary for animal health).
Choosing organically grown hemp-derived CBD means you are selecting a cleaner, less tampered-with growing process. While standard CBD products often require and undergo additional processing before being converted into a human consumption-grade CBD oil, products certified as "organic" are not processed to the same extent. Organic CBD products are often composed of the full spectrum of cannabinoids (including trace amounts of THC, though this can be excluded from broad-spectrum CBD products) that haven't interacted with any pesticides, synthetic fertilisers, or other chemicals in the growing process.
Many see the word "organic" and immediately assume it is a money-making ploy from a CBD company to make consumers pay a premium for the same product as one without this label. In actual fact, from the right company, the "organic" label translates to a commitment to premium quality CBD products derived from carefully and lovingly grown hemp. We here at VAAY think that growing hemp according to these organic standards is the best way to grow hemp, and should therefore be a number one priority when on the hunt for CBD products.
Why should you trust VAAY CBD?
Here at VAAY, we test every one of our CBD products for heavy metals, pesticides, gluten and microbiological impurities, to ensure our products are entirely natural and free of any potential contaminants. We are also committed to ensuring that every product is THC-free. Our formulation is a careful composition of cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, melatonin, vitamins and minerals, meaning our product formulas are composed of a blend of different, high-quality elements, all of which are natural and plant-derived.
If some of those elements or phytochemicals sounded unfamiliar to you, below is a glossary of terms. Otherwise, as you were!
- Terpenes are what gives the CBD the characteristic earthy, floral scent you may smell or taste when taking CBD. This scent is meant to protect plants by warding off predators and attracting pollinators. Terpenes are found in the cannabis plant and are not extracted during the typical refinement process, as they offer far more than simply their distinct aroma; they are packed with different properties which may potentially enhance your wellness in various ways. There way more than 100 terpenes that have thus far been identified in the cannabis plant. Some examples of cannabis' terpenes are limonene, myrcene and linalool.
- Flavonoids are found in great numbers within foods and beverages originating from plants, such as fruits, vegetables, tea, cocoa and wine. Alongside terpenes, flavonoids share in the responsibility of providing cannabis with its odour, flavour and colour pigmentation. Also like terpenes, flavonoids are thought to be hugely beneficial to our bodies when consumed. Cannaflavin A and Cannaflavin B are examples of the flavonoids that are typically present in cannabis.
- Vitamins: CBD contains B-complex vitamins, including vitamin B6, B12, riboflavin, niacin and thiamine. Cannabis is also rich in fatty acids, namely, Omega-3 and Omega-6. In addition, CBD is considered a complete protein source, as it contains all 21 amino acids - the building blocks of protein.
- Minerals: magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and iron are some of the minerals that can be found in CBD, which are also essential nutrients for maintaining our health.
Regarding our hemp, we use all-natural hemp extracts grown in the EU, and have all our products regularly examined in the accredited TÜV laboratory. To guarantee your trust in us, we espouse full transparency and publish our TÜV analysis results to show you the high quality of our product.
What is the Entourage Effect?
There is a special, synergistic interaction when the cannabinoids, flavonoids and terpenes in full and broad-spectrum CBD products work together. This synergy has been termed the "entourage effect", and describes the way that all the chemical entities in CBD oil can influence the effects of one another. This effect, therefore, gives full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD extracts a potential advantage over CBD isolate extracts, where cannabidiol is in its pure form and working alone, such that no entourage effect can take place. As well as no entourage effect, this lack of potential synergy can also mean that a CBD product possibly will not be as beneficial to one's wellness as a product that has multiple chemical entities might be. Put simply; teamwork makes the dream work!
Have your needs met
At VAAY, we have studied the literature, and know all the best ways that CBD can boost your overall wellness. Accordingly, we have three different formulas to meet your unique needs, whether they take the form of sleep, recovery, or relaxation.
#RELAX - This is the formula used throughout our products, and is designed to possibly help enhance your mindfulness and focus. The product formula contains the best of cannabinoids (except THC) as well as carefully selected and natural terpenes. Studies through the years have attested to CBD's capacity to potentially help de-stress and relax users.
#SLEEP - Our blue products were developed to potentially help support your natural sleep cycle and possibly soothe your mind in the evening. This is a unique formula, created with the VAAY Basic Formula as a foundation. Additional ingredients like 5-HTP and Vitamin B6 are also added to enrich your body's natural sleep rhythm. This formula is the perfect supplement for your sleeping troubles and makes the ideal organic product to integrate into your evening or bedtime routine. You need only look at scientific research into CBD's potential positive impact on sleep to know why we have concocted this formula.
#RECOVER - The red product range intends to support your natural bodily restoration after physical activity or intensive exercise. Additional ingredients are mixed into the basic formula, such as menthol, eucalyptus and other natural extracts. These rejuvenating ingredients are absorbed through your skin to strengthen and relax your exhausted muscles. This range makes the perfect supplement to an exercise-filled and active lifestyle. Again, the way CBD can potentially improve sports performance by purportedly contributing to muscle recovery and alleviated inflammation is well-documented in research.
What are the best ways to take CBD?
At VAAY, we offer a whole range of products and delivery methods to meet your CBD consumption preferences. Each of them has its own unique perks
- CBD Vape Pen - Vaporised CBD is possibly the best way to take CBD. This is because it has the best bioavailability, meaning it loses very little of its potency on the way to the bloodstream, and so is used almost in full capacity at its biological destination. The bioavailability of vaping CBD is thought to be as high as 56%. When CBD is inhaled in vapour form, it travels through the lining of the lungs, directly into the bloodstream, hence why it keeps much of its potency; because it does not go through any digestive processes or face enzyme breakdown. The potential effects of the CBD are also quick to be activated with this delivery method; you may only be waiting 15 minutes before feeling the CBD's potency.
- CBD Capsules are a reliable and conventional method for consuming CBD, preferred by many for being as familiar as any other wellness supplement. Capsules deliver a consistent dose of cannabidiol into your bloodstream. The possible effects of CBD capsules may last the longest of any method, estimated to last between 8 and 20 hours.
- Oral CBD Oil - Ingesting CBD via one of our nifty oral sprays makes for another great delivery method. Fitted with a pump to neatly spritz the oil directly into your mouth, our sprays are a fuss-free and mess-free way to ingest your daily CBD fix. Oral sprays are also a fairly direct route to the bloodstream, as the sublingual gland beneath the tongue absorbs the CBD and delivers it directly there. Furthermore, there are very few enzymes in the mouth that break down and degrade the potency of the CBD, apart from in the saliva. This is what makes the bioavailability of oral and sublingual sprays so great, at around 12-35%, i.e., the second-highest of all the ways to take CBD, after inhaling.
- CBD Active Gel - Spoil your skin, muscles and joints by treating them with this potentially regenerative formula. Topicals like our gel are great for purportedly providing localised, targeted relief; they could help supplement treatment of issues affecting your muscles, joints and skin, but, unlike other methods of consumption, topical CBD will not travel to the bloodstream.
- CBD Bath Bomb - Dropping a CBD-infused bomb into your bubble bath is undoubtedly the most luxurious way to absorb this cannabinoid and garner all of its potential benefits. It is also an extremely gentle way to introduce this cannabis-constituent to your skin. Again, there will be no CBD in your bloodstream when you take a CBD bath, as it may provide only localised effects.
CBD: too good to be true?
There are, of course, always things to take into consideration about CBD consumption, as not every experience will be perfect. To avoid any negative experiences, you should check off each point on the list below.
- Scrutinise the company: If you're (making the mistake of your life by) buying from another CBD company, you should do a full check of the company's reputability. This includes looking at their customer reviews and checking for Certificates of Analysis (COAs), or third-party lab test certificates. If you choose VAAY as your CBD provider, you'll notice we have all of our lab results perfectly visible to our customers for every product.
- Be mindful of adverse reactions: Reactions are very rare, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Some of the previously reported potential adverse effects have included nausea, headaches, diarrhoea, lightheadedness, changes in weight and changes in appetite.
- Dose sensibly: This means starting with lower doses and slowly easing your way to higher or stronger doses, so that your body becomes accustomed to this cannabinoid.
- Talk to your doctor if you are taking medications for a health condition and you wish to start a CBD regime, as CBD may interact with and disrupt your medications.
- Ensure you have a dark, cool storage space for your CBD. Storing it in a room with too much light exposure will cause the CBD to break down. Moreover, ensure you adhere to expiration dates listed on the packaging, and do not surpass them. This applies to all products, not just CBD edibles.
- Reflect on how you can help the CBD to (potentially) help you. It isn't just about letting the CBD do all the work all on its own; you have to do your bit in leading a healthy lifestyle. That means eating properly, staying active, going to sleep at consistent times and doing things for your mental health like meditation and mindfulness. Remember, CBD should not be used as a replacement for a healthy diet or lifestyle, and especially not for prescribed medication(s) that you need to take.
Hopefully, we have managed to persuade you that the only way to take CBD is to take organic German CBD from our trusty hands here at VAAY. On top of that, we hope to have given you some valuable insight into the general properties of CBD products, and the best ways you can take this remarkable cannabinoid, as well as the top tips for taking CBD sensibly. Following our advice will help ensure you have a smooth experience taking CBD.
From all of us here at VAAY,